CARROT 3.0 Changelog: Extended Edition
Less than 2 months after CARROT first graced the App Store with her presence, I’m proud to announce that Version 3.0 is now available! This update is another huge one, with your three most-requested features: reminders, recurring tasks, and Siri integration. As before, I thought I’d do an “extended edition” of the changelog since there’s a lot going on here.
Greetings, lazy humans. Because I am a benevolent overlord, I come bearing an update with your most-requested features.
- Reminders/due dates (Unlocks at Level 18). Having trouble remembering what you’re supposed to be doing? Don’t worry, it happens to all meatbags! Just double tap on a task to set a reminder.
When you double tap on a task, you can select when you want to be reminded: later today (3 hours from now), tomorrow (tomorrow at 8 am), next week (next Monday at 8 am), or pick date (go crazy and pick any time you like!).
Once you’ve set a reminder, a blue dot will appear next to the task. For tasks that are past due, this dot will turn red.
To clear a reminder, just double tap the task and then tap clear reminder.
- Hard difficulty mode (Level 22). Looking for a challenge? Type “CARROT hard mode” in my command line and I’ll get fed up with you much more quickly.
Created expressly for CARROT’s sickest, most masochistic minions. You have just four hours to get something done before she’ll start getting pissed off.
- Siri sync (Level 24). Get Siri to do your dirty work for you! Tell her, “Remind me to kick a hipster on Friday at 9pm” and I’ll import the task the next time you launch me. (For more details, tap Support > Help in my menu.)
When you first activate the Siri/Reminders integration, CARROT will pull whatever you have in your “Reminders” list in Apple’s Reminders app into her list. When CARROT creates the new task, she will complete the corresponding item in the Reminders app so you don’t get reminded twice. (The task doesn’t get deleted from your Reminders app – you can still find it in your “Completed” list.)
If you don’t want all of your reminders to get imported into CARROT, add a new list named “CARROT” (all caps!) to the Reminders app. Next, quit CARROT by double tapping the home button and removing her from the multitasking drawer. Then, tell Siri “Add feed attack ostriches to my CARROT list.” When you next launch CARROT, this task will get added to your list. (Meanwhile, if you tell Siri “remind me to stop being lazy,” this item will remain in your default reminders list.)
If you’re having trouble, make sure that you have a list named either “Reminders” or “CARROT” in Apple’s Reminders app. (Capitalization matters!) Then, ensure iCloud sync is turned on for Reminders. Finally, quit and relaunch CARROT – she can only look for new lists on a full relaunch.
Note: CARROT does not yet understand location-based reminders.
- Recurring tasks (Level 28). Sick of entering tasks like “blink” and “waste space” over and over again? You’re in luck! Now, when setting a reminder, you can make common tasks repeat.
Just double tap a task, then tap “pick date.” Pick the date and time you’d like your reminder to start, then tap “recur” to choose whether you’d like this to be a daily, weekly, or monthly reminder.
To clear a recurring task, delete it from your list.
Note: Once you complete a recurring task, you have to wait one hour before you can complete it again. No cheating!
Here’s the rest of the changes that didn’t make it into the App Store’s update notes:
- Ecstatic Mood (Level 75).
- Proud that you hit Todo List Zero? Share the news with all your social media friends!
- Sped up the “pull to create a task” gesture.
- Tap the box at the top of the screen to scroll your list to the top.
- Tap the transparent overlay when adding/editing a task to dismiss the keyboard.
- Made the “toggle icon” command more obvious.
- Fixed a couple of annoying bugs, including one that causes text to overlap and another that causes the menu to get stuck.
- A bunch of little changes… and some fun surprises.
Two months since launch, two epic updates out the door. Rest assured, my Maker has much more in store for you. Follow @CARROT_app on Twitter to stay up to date on the latest news.
Because 3.0 took so long to get approved (it was submitted to Apple on February 25th), I’m already halfway done yet another huge update.
3.0 focused on adding “boring”/”useful” todo list features; 4.0 will focus on fun stuff.
Thanks so much for all your support. If you like this update and want to see more in the future, make sure you go and rate (or re-rate) CARROT in the App Store!